How to Create, Edit, and Remove Summary Assets
IntroductionA Summary Asset is essentially an association between a location and an asset. By associating locations and assets, you can obtain information about all of the assets and the attributes of those assets at any particular location, whether the location “contains” one or many assets. A useful function of this association is to use Calculated Assets to obtain aggregate information about a collection of assets. This information can be as simple as a count of all the assets in a location, e.g., all of the servers in a particular data center row, or it can be an industry-standard metric, e.g., the Rack Cooling Index (RCI) derived from all of the temperature sensors on all of the racks for a given row of racks or for an entire data center. In addition, these calculated attributes can be used on maps, in reports, to generate alerts, etc.
Defining Summary Assets is done by using the “Location to Asset Association” sub-task under Locations/Rules/Maps in the Administrator Console.
NOTE: For a more comprehensive understanding of Summary Assets, please refer to Tech Brief: Summary Assets found in the following RF Code Support Knowledge Base article:
Associating a Location to an AssetYou can associate a location to a new asset or to an existing asset. Follow the first three steps below and then one of the two subsequent sections, depending on whether you are associating the location to a new asset or to an existing asset.
To associate a Location to an Asset, perform the following steps:
1. In the Administrator Console, navigate to Locations/Rules/Maps > Location to Asset Association.
2. From the list of locations in the hierarchy, select the location that you want to associate to an asset.
3. Click the Associate Asset to Location button.
A prompt will appear with the option to associate the location to a new asset or to associate the location to an existing asset.
Associating a Location to a New AssetTo associate a location to a new asset, perform the following steps:
1. Click the Associate <Location> to New Asset option and click the OK button.
You will be prompted to choose an Asset Template or an Asset Type to create a new asset. Depending on the option you choose, the Asset information screen for that Asset Type or Asset Template will appear.
2. Enter the required asset information and click the OK button to continue.
The location will now appear in the location tree with the location to asset association icon.
Associating a Location to an Existing AssetTo associate a location to an existing asset, perform the following steps:
1. Click the Associate <Location> to Existing Asset option and click the OK button.
You will be prompted to choose an asset to associate this location with.
2. Select the asset by using the filter bar at the top of the dialog to narrow down the results until you find the asset that you want to associate.
3. Click Go to get a list of assets.
4. Pick an asset from the list and then click the OK button to continue.
The location will now appear in the asset list to the right and will also appear in the location tree with the location to asset association icon.
Editing an Associated AssetTo edit an associated asset, perform the following steps:
1. Select the location from the list.
The asset will appear in the right-hand task pane.
2. Select the asset and click the Edit Associated Asset button.
The asset information screen will appear.
3. Edit the necessary asset details.
4. Click OK when you have finished editing or click Cancel to exit.
Removing an Asset AssociationYou can disassociate an asset from a location. This will not delete or retire the asset; it will only remove the association of the asset to the location. To actually delete an associated asset you must first perform the disassociation described here.
To disassociate an asset from a location, perform the following steps:
1. Select the location from the list and click the Remove Asset Association button.
2. When prompted, confirm that you want to remove the asset association.
3. Click the Remove Association button to remove the asset association or click the Don’t Remove Association button to exit.