Create an SSI Rule
Rules are required to associate IR locator beacons with locations and can be used to define reader coverage zones. Signal Strength (SSI) rules help to fine-tune the interpretation of tag location through the specification of reader channel SSI thresholds; IR Codes are used with IR-enabled tags and locators.
SSI Rules are the simplest way to associate a tag and/or asset to a Location in CenterScape or Zone Manager. In general terms, this would be considered a “Zonal” or “Zone” based rule. A Zone is defined as anything that is visible to the Reader(s) that the rule is configured for. For example, a data center may have four Readers covering the RF transmissions. An SSI Rule could be configured to dynamically move assets to the data center if the asset/tag is seen by any of the four readers. More granular rules, such as IR Locator rules for Room-level or Rack-level visibility can be configured in addition to SSI rules. In this scenario, the SSI Rule (or Zonal Rule) would be a fall-back if the Rack or Room-Level rules failed to match.
To add a Rule to a Location:
- Navigate to Admin Console > Locations/Rules/Maps > Locations & Rules. Select a Location from the Location Hierarchy.
- Click the New Rule button.
- From the drop-down list, select the type of rule you would like to add.
- Match by Simple SSI: Location based on threshold SSI values for one or more reader channels (at least one must be above the threshold).
To use the Simple SSI rule, name it, enable it, and accept the default SSI settings unless you have contacted RF Code Support for guidance.
- Match by IR Locator: Location based on received values for the irlocator attribute (on tags with IR sensors), with optional restriction on reporting reader channels.
To use the IR Rule, name it, enable it, associate it with the ID of an IR Locator (Room or Rack), and accept the default Rule Configuration settings unless you have contacted RF Code Support for guidance.
- Match by Average SSI: Location based on threshold average of SSI values for one or more reader channels.
To use this rule, name it, enable it, and accept the default SSI settings.
NOTE: When the Match by IR Locator Rule is selected, a field titled Zone Manager will appear in the Rule Configuration box. The administrator is now able to specify which particular Zone Manager the rule applies to. This allows the administrator to duplicate IR Locator Numbers for different Zone Managers and causes the selected rule to be only applied when the specific IR Location Number is seen on the specified Zone Manager. The administrator will be able to choose from any of the Zone Managers that have been configured.
IMPORTANT: IR Rules assigned to Summary Locations are not deleted when the associations between assets and locations are changed. Be sure to update IR Rules when unlinking or reassigning summary locations.
- Fill in the required fields and click Save Changes.
The rule appears in the Locations & Rules tree under the specified location.
- Channels of a reader will appear in the left panel only when a reader’s Zone Manager (configured in Reader Configuration) is online.
EXAMPLE: SSI Rule that updates location to RFC Data Center if the tag is detected by either of the two reader channels defined in the rule.
In Zone Manager the equivalent functionality can be configured under the Configuration > Locations & Rules menu:
IMPORTANT: In an environment where CenterScape is present, only make configuration changes through CenterScape. The only time Zone Manager should ever be configured directly is if there is no CenterScape in the environment.