M250 Reader Installation Procedure
Configuring an M250 with a static IP address
- Download and install the Reader Configuration Utility (RCU), found here: Utilities/Downloads
- Once installed, plug the M250's power in, like in "image 1" below
- Next, plug in a USB-B cable or printer cable in to the "USB - B Serial" port
- In your computer's "Device Manager", locate the respective device entry for the newly plugged in M250 Reader. Right click on the RF Code Device and select "Update Driver"
NOTE: If the M250 shows up under "Ports (COM & LPT) and has a COM port associated with it already, skip to step 7.
- Choose the "Browse my computer..." option (image 6), rather than searching, and when prompted, select the "c:\program files (x86)\rf code\reader configuration utility" directory as the "location" to search
- Choose to trust the driver/publisher when prompted and finish the installation
- Start the Reader Configuration Utility and choose the "Local" option then select the radio button next to the COM Port on which your M250 Reader currently resides and click "Next"
- In the configuration panel, select the "Wired Interface" tab and uncheck "DHCP", then make the appropriate adjustments to the IP Address, Subnet Mask, and Gateway in the available fields
NOTE: For additional details on configuring the reader, and the various options, please reference the RCU User Guide: RCU User Guide
- After saving and finishing the configuration, the M250 Reader should now be on the network at the prescribed IP address, assuming its network port is physically plugged in to the appropriate network. The reader should now be reachable in a web browser using the IP address (e.g. http://172.16.4.13)
The Reader can now be added to CenterScape or Asset Manager for use in detecting and view tags. This article (How to Configure a Reader in Asset Manager) details the process.